PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - State of the Nation - an open letter
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2000, 23:59
JimNich

Lightbulb

The truth is out there.

Maybe the answer to some of the dilemmas facing our Services is right there in Strimmer's original post. He/she quite rightly surmised that the armed forces of today will, in a limited way, reflect the society that produces it. So let's think about that.
We live in a "throw-away", short attention span era. A time of instant gratification where the most newsworthy item appears to be Beckam's new tattoo or hair cut. We wallow in an orgy of orgasmic consumerism, "use once" cameras, "no bank" banks, unshackled "Still Only 10p" journalism, the Millenium Dome, 238 channels on TV and every kid over 10 with their own mobile phone. If anyone in society today stops long enough to even spare a thought for their Armed Forces then its only to see the snapshot footage of some military aircraft wreckage. As Chris Tarrant used to be quite fond of saying "THIS IS WHAT THEY WANT!". I'm sorry Jacko but I just don't buy the theory that there are so many enlightened Journos out there ready to carry the banner for our armed services, news ain't what it used to be (anyone remember ANY mention of Defence in the last election).
So, with this in mind its easy to see that no-one anywhere is even going to raise an eyebrow at the military's very real problems, especially when so many of them are mirrored in industry.
I'm not, however, as cynical as Mrs BinAroundabit. The deteriation of the services that she ascribes to Mr Blair was set in motion long before he came to power by the biggest bunch of Euro cynics on the face of the planet. I believe the truth is that we are lead by a bunch of peace loving idealists who find the need for an armed force a bit of an embarassment and are too confused by the world at large to have any grand plan for it. They are, after all, just a bunch of flawed human beings exactly like you and me.
I do agree quite strongly with Yak Yak's comment though, well observed. We're very much "out of sight, out of mind" and cheesy cinemagraphic adverts won't help our cause one iota.
Finally, one obsevation about our society today. You will find that the Services will very shortly be without a credible SNCO cadre (HURRAH! I hear you cry, get rid of the moaning proletariat g1ts. However, in a service driven by technology, experience is everything and you won't get that with the Officer corps swapping jobs every 2/3 years). As I se it, most kids these days, if they decide not to go to Uni and join the Forces as a ranker, has no intention of staying in after their initial engagement. This generation accepts that a person will have two or three different careers in their working lifespan. The ones that do opt for further education will not be content with the opportunities available to the non-commissioned so more and more it is becoming an Officers Airforce (what percentage of this comment you put down to sour grapes is your choice, its still true). Whilst ground trades are being disbanded/civilianised there are growing commissioned branches, all part of the upside-down pyramid, the "too many chiefs and not enough Indians" situation that we find ourselves in today.