PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Forced unpaid leave at ryanair
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2008, 10:33
ShortfinalFred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! How low can you go? I used to be proud of the career I have choosen, proud to have the responsibility for the lives of others and the capital of my company in my charge, proud of keeping up the standards that my predecessors had set.

Now, well, this is a race "into the sewer", as someone else has posted.

This thread should be posted in the wannabe's forum so that every kid who thought that being a professional pilot was, as it ought to be, a respected, responsible, stable and satisfying career where you have responsibility for the lives of others and millions of dollars worth of investment can see the truth - which is that even the Bus drivers at the depot get better treatment than this.

So RYR are saying that you take unpaid leave and therefore are:

a) unable to draw unemployment benefit
b) still on contract so contractually barred from accepting alternative employment
c) losing recency and experience viz. others all the time you accept it
d) more likely to be replaced by contractors on non-renewable contracts

This makes you an indentured slave!

Who can afford do this? Why would they?

Better still, wannabes take note, even when you come back, your base can be changed at RYR whim at any time. Try telling your spouse that, and the kids.

Madness. RYR have dragged this industry to the depths. They force every one else to follow them down.

I am glad I am where I am in my career because I would never go into this now, and if you are smart enough to pass all the CAA exams, self-motivated and self-disciplined enough to pass the flying tests and driven enough to earn the money to pay RYR to train you to make them money then you are surely smart enough to get a career that has a shred of a chance of being more rewarding financially, more stable socially and for your family, and more secure.

Unbelievable.