PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 162 Skycatcher Crashes
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2008, 05:37
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH-XXX

No, they don't PLAN to lose one but they sure do want to find out if the design has any rattlesnakes lurking in it. Most people who are bitten by one don't see it before they step on it.

So whilst they try to design them out prior, they push all parts of the envelope to see what may lurk there, occasionally and it seems so in this case they do.

If they can't design out whatever it was, then they will "fix" it, using one of the many "fixes" out of the "fix" tool box. A quiet walk around a ramp full of aircraft from 2 seat trainers to exec jets with someone who knows both what he's talking about and what to look for, can be very instructive.

Having built probably 70% of the commercial aircraft now flying I suspect they know a thing or two about how to design an aircraft that granny can fly up to and including the Columbus.

Believe it or not I have heard more pilots?? than I care to, tell me that in any event most Cessna's aren't "real" aircraft because they are so, in relative terms, idiot proof. Go figure.

Seems to me the regulators need to make provision for the pilot? who insists on showing the world that he can do the equivalent of defusing an IED whilst standing on one leg in a hammock.

PS: Oh and BTW the Cessna 303 Crusader is the closest any piston manufacturer has ever got to the pilot proof piston twin. Short of an exhibition of superior dumbosity all of the things that would normally kill you in a piston twin were designed out. The aircraft was stillborn in the great late 80's liability fiasco.