PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filing IFR for flight outside of controlled airspace?
Old 20th Sep 2008, 11:03
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>Again, you need to remember that the controller cannot provide 'instructions' under a RAS, merely information and the advisory avoiding action necessary to maintain separation from other aircraft.<

BEagle

Again NOT quite true and maybe I am being nit pickie. This line of thought was instigated by someone who said you can do what you want in G airspace.

A RAS can only be given to an aircraft flying under IFR. That itself is an indication that you cannot do as you want as Flying IFR you are flying to a set of rules.
A couple of days ago I heard an elderly pilot asking for a RAS while flying VFR. It took the controller some time to make him understand that he could not have that service under VFR.

So a RAS is a service offered under a controlled set of rules. It is a fact that the controller becomes responsible for you under a RAS.
He does indeed give "instructions" " turn immediately onto 030 for avoiding action". Hardly not an instruction.
I have never heard a controller say" traffic 12 o clock my advice is you may like to turn to 030 or you may not its up to you"

As stated under an RAS you are expected to comply with instructions given. If you failed to do so the RAC would have to terminate the service to absolve himself from any liability from a collision.

Remember too that under a RAS you are already flying to IFR (RULES)

I am sure flying under a meagre RIS and descending below the MSA you will hear the controller tell you that you are responsible for your own terrain clearance. An indication of the controller absolving himself from you hitting a mountain.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 20th Sep 2008 at 11:24.