PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any advice if you're laid off
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2008, 12:21
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I joined Zoom from another company just after they started flying in 2007, after taking the view that as they were new to the UK I had to have contingency plan.
That plan consisted of saving my pennies and putting together a plan of action should things go south..so to speak.
FWIW, when I joined I'd just bought a house, an addition to the H1 household was on the way, and yet, being frugal meant that when things did go pop, I had 7 months financial grace in which to get further employment.
Along the way my plan "B" developed, I made contacts at various airlines, contract agencies, and corporate operators so that should the worst happen..I'd be ahead of the game.
Now 3 weeks after losing my job at Zoom, I've got a nice little number already signed sealed and delivered.
My biggest problem is now trying to get a P45 out of the company receivers!

This industry is cyclical and will be thus, for as long as I'm in it. Zoom was the 3rd time I've lost my job thanks to a company falling over, and yet, I'm confident that I'll never be out of work for any extended period as I intend to have a plan.
I'd advise everyone to have a plan "b" and "c" right now.