PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filing IFR for flight outside of controlled airspace?
Old 19th Sep 2008, 08:16
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
Surely the issue is unnecessary declaration of IFR?

If you wish to fly IFR in VMC, then you should only expect a level of service commensurate with the airspace category. Try asking for a RAS in Class G on a busy day and you are your own worst enemy - you will be vectored around every 'unknown' contact.

If you don't want to be so inconvenienced, then either fly VFR and lookout of the window rather than at Garmin eye-candy - or play airliners in your spamcan by flying airways if you hold a valid IR.

RIS/RAS are great for short term use such as cloud penetration to VMC-on-top - or for descending below cloud to safety altitude or limits of radar cover.

But those "Err, Golf Alfa Blah Blah, I'm a turbo-super Piper something Romeo form Somewhere to Nowhere, routing via the ABC to the DEF to the GHI, Flight Level 50 request Radar Advisory" types who bumble about in 50 km viz in Class G airspace merely annoy everyone - fellow pilots and ATCOs alike!

I have a few thousand hours of airways time but now avoid IFR like the plague - I don't need my IR anymore; the IMCR is just fine for the limited IMC time I need. I'd far sooner fly without having to yakk on the wireless to anyone every few minutes, just pottering along enjoying the VFR view out of the window!

Unfortunately the soon-to-be 'Deconfliction' service will allow the equivalent of RAS under VFR. A sneaky ruse to force mandatory Mode S on everyone, a cynic might think.....