PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altimeter Correction Cold WX OPS
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 1999, 10:26
hopharrigan

Unhappy

Thanks bizjet, I appreciate that.

I admit I do not know any longer what the difference is between Temperature Compensation and Temperature Correction. When this first came up for me about 10 years ago, I asked the Performance Engineers in the company I worked for at the time and they confirmed that the CADC did not need to be corrected for approach errors due to temperature. That was good enough for me. The matter came up again during an IP re-training course in another airline and the ground instructor said I was wrong when I repeated what I was told, but the next day he apologised and said he had researched it and I was right. Then again with this thread, I asked the performance engineers in yet another airline (I get around!) and they produced the documents supporting my view. They even offered to amend the Ops Manual which currently says the correction is required (I asked them not to do so, without further study).
I am impressed with a lot of what you guys had to say, and will look into it more. If I find anything definite, either way, I will let you know.

By the way I hold several licences, all ATP or equivalent, including the Aus, NZ, Singapore, British and US. I am proud of them all.