PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check outs
Thread: Check outs
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 22:05
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David

I have read through this thread so a few comments. Firstly checks of one kind or another are part of aviation from the word go right through to those who fly commercially hold type ratings and ATPs.

As you gain experience you will develop your own ways of flying and discover your own strengths and weaknesses.

Being honest with yourself is the first goal as then you will identify the areas you need the work on rather than being self defensive against any critical attitude to your flying.

That to me shows a lack of confidence which will shine through in the wrong way to an examiner.

Mentally detach from the examiner and concentrate on flying the best you can and be open to advice even if you dont agree.

We cannot get on with everyone but especially as you climb higher in the realms of aviation you cannot choose who you are examined by.

Most examiners have their own likes and dislikes so identify those and with a confident smile play the game and try to be a bit more thick skinned and a bit more fox like.

I remember one guy who was renowned for his own ways and shouting at his students he was type rated on every Boeing made. I was on a test in a citation and the elderly guy asked for a clean approach and then gave me the full flap VREF speed and bugged it.

I noted that mistake worked out the correct VREF and carried the extra speed. Sure enough "what are you doing your way above VREF" came his angry call.

My reply with a knowing wink was " realised you were trying to catch me out on the VREF clean very clever" He coughed nervously having realised his mistake and me giving him a way out took it. The result was that I passed with glowing colours in his eyes and that was what is important.

Lighten up, chill out, realise your own weaknesses, listen to people who have a lot more experience and let your confidence speak for itself not your mouth.

Pace