PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altimeter Correction Cold WX OPS
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 1999, 09:30
hopharrigan

Unhappy

There are some remarkably closed minds out there.
If the tech manuals of Boeing and Honeywell are right, then the correction is made automatically, in other words modern airplanes use True Altitude on the primary display. If they are right, then the correction is not needed; but if you want to save the lives of the passengers bound for Zurich, go ahead and apply it. I pronmise I will not be offended. I am certainly not going to change the way I think because of some strident opinion I read here, and neither should you.
I am sure the Canadians flying the older airplanes in the frozen North know all about the error and apply it intelligently.
If you are personally not convinced that the airplane and flight instrument manufacturers know what they are doing, or that there may be some difference in the way the information is actually presented in your airplane, by all means apply the correction and more power to you!
But if you are going to fly 500 or 1000 feet higher than ATC assigns you, please tell them, so they might put me out of your way.