PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Altimeter Correction Cold WX OPS
View Single Post
Old 16th Nov 1999, 17:18
Mach

Lightbulb Altimeter Correction Cold WX OPS

Winter is here in ernest, but I was wondering why, it seems, that so few pilots are aware of the problems of altimeter error when the temperature is anything other than 15'C. The CAA exams do not really emphasize the importance and magnitude of the error, especially in cold air.
At -20'C with a platform altitude of say 2500' you will actually be only 2190'. Or at 5000' only 4380'. Really significant differances when you are operating into moderately high airfields on Non - Precision Approaches. Have you ever wondered why, when passing the LOM it's sometimes sixty or seventy feet out? I have yet to see any real guidance issued by the authorities as to how they would like us to use their tables, especially as ATC also do not appear to take this error into account when vectoring us around.
I suggest adding the corrections to MSA's, LOM's and Minima for a start, and then maybe onto radar minimum altitudes given by ATC.
Can anyone shed anymore light on this issue from either an ATC, pilot or CAA(JAA) point of view? My company don't even mention it in their cold Wx Ops Manual.