PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filing IFR for flight outside of controlled airspace?
Old 18th Sep 2008, 17:16
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you mean that somepeople load the system by asking for an IFR clearance to get a RAS or RIS when they are in perfect weather and have no real need to fly IFR?
Yes.

So, let me get this straight...

Filing part of your route in airways so that you can benefit from the services of London Control to do all your coordination and planning while you cruise in VMC in class A, that's fine? The folks in TC have hardly anything to do anyway and so you might as well force them to soak up a bit of their workload crossing the TMA at 120 kt in your Cessna.

However, IFR in VMC outside controlled airspace to allow a controller, workload permitting, to offer a better service and coordinate you as an IFR flight, that's "reprehensible".

Was that the gist of it?

When I am IFR, I am IFR. I don't tell them I something different in order to get a 'better' service than others. Last time I looked I was required to be IFR in Class A. I use the airways under the same rules as everyone else using them and do not ask for anything different.