PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filing IFR for flight outside of controlled airspace?
Old 18th Sep 2008, 15:25
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>Agreed. However we have side tracked from the original point that got me on my soap box which was about calling himself IFR in order to get a better service......<

Bose I think I know what you are getting at but not sure? I really am not trying to shoot you down!

How can someone call themselves IFR ? do you mean they are flying VFR but say they are flying IFR to get a RAS?

I can fly S/W at 3400 feet VFR and on a FIS. The weather ahead might deteriorate or I might come into an area of denser traffic and elect to fly IFR.
I might ask to change my level to FL55 ask the RAC to upgrade me to a RIS or RAS. Once past the weather or heavier traffic I might cancel IFR drop to 3400 feet VFR in VMC and down grade myself to a FIS again ? all out of CAS.

Am I calling myself IFR? No I am flying a portion of my trip IFR and to those rules.

Again I may fly towards Birmingham VFR and then ask for an IFR crossing. If successful I will be assigned a level or altitude/height on a given pressure setting will fly IFR and again cancel after clearing their zone. Am I calling myself IFR?

I think you mean that somepeople load the system by asking for an IFR clearance to get a RAS or RIS when they are in perfect weather and have no real need to fly IFR?

But "calling yourself" again is a loose and confusing term you either are or are not

Pace