PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 18th Sep 2008, 13:46
Grass strip basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The events required to kick start a recovery are already underway... i.e. significant government intervention... things are a little calmer today but confidence is ebbing and flowing.

Already talk about a new government fund to purchase problem assets off bank balance sheets + government recapitalisation of banks. Forced consolidation of banks also already happening (Merrills/Bank of america, Lloyds/HBOS). These things are key building blocks to a recovery.

However the real fundamental problem in consumers have too much debt and are now going to have to start paying that down. That is why this downturn could be so pronounced and long lasting.

Those knocking the economics "theme" in this thread miss the point.... it is these themes that will drive the recovery in airline recruitment you are looking for... ignore them at your peril.... as some are now finding to their cost.

I have to say I struggle to find too much sympathy for those currently 6-12 months from finishing an integrated course.... you should have known the whole training process was a gamble from day 1 and things have been looking shakey since August 2007.... that may sound harsh but you shouldn't need sympathy if you put a proper contingence plan in place when you started your training or be fishing around for advice as to what to do now... you should just be activiating "plan B" e.g. back to your old job for 1-2 years....... take cover.... INCOMING! (GSB ducks under desk and waits to be flamed )

Hopefully people yet to enter the training game will be able to learn from the mistakes of others...