PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Filing IFR for flight outside of controlled airspace?
Old 18th Sep 2008, 09:09
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
>So as I said, claiming to be IFR in VMC in order to get a better service is in my humble opinion reprehensible. While the controller is busy giving our friend a full radar service, the service to others asking for a FIS and a zone crossing is reduced needlessly.<

Bose

Sometimes an IFR aircraft reduces the workload for the RC. ie he can slot an IFR aircraft in with his other IFR traffic and know that the aircraft will be at a set level and navigating to a set point.

he does not have such precision with VFR traffic some which may not be transponding at all and hence has to treat them with more caution.

As an example I can more easely get a crossing clearance through Birmingham IFR than if I ask for a VFR crossing. At least IFR i can be coordinated with other IFR traffic VFR i will either be told to remain clear or given a crossing only when traffic allows.

>Claiming to be IFR in VFR conditions < I do not understand how you can claim to be IFR in VFR conditions? You either are flying to IFR rules or VFR rules the VMC part is irrelevant .

And no I have never been an instructor only a 3500 hr type rated ATP so prob dont know much at all

Pace