PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hercules Military and civy differences.
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 09:01
Old Fella

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C130 Anti-icing systems

JammedStab is correct in his assertion that the C130 (at least those on which I operated) have the leading edge of the vertical stabilizer anti-iced. The Wing and Empenage Anti-ice system takes engine bleed air from the cross-wing manifold and by means of solenoid controlled/pneumatically operated valves allowing hot air to be ejected into the wing leading edges (between engines and outboard of engines #1 and #4) and to the horizontal and vertical stabilizer leading edges. The system is never used on the ground. Normal operations where icing conditions are expected to be encountered would see they system used for a short period before reaching icing conditions to ensure no moisture, which could freeze, is in the pneumatic control lines. The system is designed to be used as an Anti-ice system, not a De-ice system. The Radome and Engine Air inlets are also anti-iced using bleed air. The Props and Spinners are electrically anti-iced. Never having operated the C130B I have no argument with Renier, however I considered the C130A with T56A-11's as fitted to the RAAF C130A models was a "Sports car" compared to the C130E. The C130H is still a formidable aircraft and 50 years of operations with the RAAF without one single hull loss says much for the aircraft, the crews and the level of maintenance the RAAF enjoys.