PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Circuit queens getting all the twin jobs????
Old 18th Sep 2008, 08:27
nightprowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For your info, i do have a twin job on the east coast but have noticed alot of the drivers being ex instructors jumping from 152's to IFR pa31's or similar. Yes, most of the time it wouldnt be a problem but when something does go wrong, the knowledge gained from watching someone flying a circuit will not get then out of the s%$t. And i know heaps of charter guys not getting a look in. Now you think that is safe, going from 700kg or so MTOW to 3342 kgs? vfr in the circuit with 2 pob, to IFR 10 pob flying in the soup, dodging inbeaded storms then landing in a 20 kt cross wind at night...going from 95 kt cruise to a 190 kt descent...charter guys going from 1200kgs or so out of CPL to 1723(150kt) or more flying 206/210 airvans with 6 to 8 pob around storms, planning, dirverting, landing in marginal airstrips, sometimes IFR freight then moving up to pa31/402/310's is more sensible and safe. And a 210 or 206 can bite you alot harder than a 150 in a 3 kt cross wind....decision making, when you are in flight training you leave everwhere with full tanks, charter in usually min fuel, now hwnere this charter experience comes in is fuel planning, always being aware of alternates, now i not saying instructors are bad pilots, i'm saying its unsafe to go from 152's to IFR twins without experiencing the middle area, they are missing out on alot of real world flying knowledge they could save their lives and the 9 other people on board! You cant go from crawling straight to running, you first have to learn to walk first....