PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best paying instructor jobs.
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 07:46
flysaucer1200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSIO540, is your statement that accurate? I believe you, its just hard to believe you can earn that amount of money. Fantastic stuff. I don’t think you would require a secondary income.

In NZ, for example, the instructors at Ardmore, and other places both north and south are paid 25$ an hour for c cat ( grade 3 either junior or Sr ) . So, if your not flying your not being paid. And, with the large amounts of rain in the last three months in NZ, there were many instructors that were paid little. Grade 2, or B cat’s are often put on a salary- equivalent to around- 25G per year. Some schools higher some lower. Then grade 1 ( A cat ) well, there is only 2 A cats at the big school at Ardmore, one has an injury, but is on around 45g per year. The other owns 3 houses, is notorious, and is salaried to a secret, but understandably, for the sake of business, is on around 80grand or more ( due to some kind of agreement with commissions ) . The is other A cats floating around. A few are airline pilots, some work with other positions. And a few are self made. Other B cats that work for companies at Ardmore are all on around 35g give or take. But, usually not too much more.

Hamilton C cats ( at the big school ) are on around- 23g, B cats on around 30g, and there are not too many A cats around there either. Actually, to become an A cat doesn’t seem to be so popular here in NZ. Seems more common, acceptable and accessible in Aussie.
That is pretty much the standard around NZ. I have many friends that are instructors like me, but are working in Aussie. I know that schools at Bankstown, pay 35g for a Jr Gr 3, another school pays 33g for Jr Gr 3. Goes up to just under 40g for Gr 2, and 45 or like mentioned earlier, varies depending on negotiating skills.

Actually. I think there seems to be a lot of interest in instructing now. My friends have informed me that a lot of people of signing up to do instructing courses. I hope this remains positive in the future. It would be disappointing to work hard towards a Gr 2 or 1, which takes a few years and then find in a few years that the industry has taken a major step back, and salaries have dropped. All my friends tell me that all their ( or most ) of their students are from overseas, and that seems to be the factor fueling the need and therefore the wages of instructors
FS1200

Here's an example from a NZ website- All NZ wages, and NZ living is not so cheap.

C-cat single engine VFR instructor $17,500 6-9 months
B-cat single-engine VFR instructor $20,500 6-9 months
B-cat multi-engine VFR instructor $23,500 3 months
B-cat multi-engine IFR instructor $27,500 6-9 months
A-cat (SE/ME, VFR/IFR) instructor $32,500

Last edited by flysaucer1200; 19th Sep 2008 at 22:03.