PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AIPA or AFAP FOR JETSTAR
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 04:25
RAD_ALT_ALIVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like most industrial-representation issues, this one is;

(a) liable to inflame sensitivities on both sides,

(b) full of pros and cons and, thus, must be looked at from a 'big picture' view point,

(c) vital to the future of BOTH pilot groups, and

(d) if not settled by an overwhelming majority decision, is likely to result in deep divisions for a very long time (wouldn't management be pleased?).

For those of you who think that AIPA haven't changed their position on JQ (and, probably, the other subsidiaries), consider this; whatever you might say about AIPA and the COM, they are generally comprised of intelligent, level-headed members. To think otherwise would be to accept that the QF selection process allows mostly other-minded individuals to slip through the rigorous system.

When JQ was first mooted, it was not unreasonable for the AIPA COM (and let me say here, that I'm not at mainline) to bluster about who would fly what, and to campaign that AIPAs mainline majority should get most if not all of the slots. Management had the final say (as they will about which Group element will get what equipment).

Four years on, and it's become obvious to any blind freddie that JQ is now a long-term stand-alone element that has the propensity to grow to a vast size in its own right.

AIPA and the majority of QF mainline pilots know this, and have altered their standing and strategy as a result - exactly as I would want a representative body to be able to change with a change in industrial circumstances. They now see that it is vital that AIPA hold on to the representation of all Group pilots; not to benefit mainline pilots to the detriment of JQ pilots, but to benefit and safeguard conditions/opportunities for all pilots within the Group! I'm sure that it would be seen as advantageous if there could be a permanent 'extention' of the MOU set-up, which would effectively result in a Group bidding system. And how good would that be? Outstanding! The only thing that pilots love above good pay and nice planes to fly, is the ability to choose their career path.

Having AIPA represent us would not, I'm sure, mean that - if chosen as the representative body for JQ pilots (and I do so hope and pray that they do) - they would chase windmills in trying to get JQ parody with mainline, but that they have a powerful influence on ensuring that conditions are never eroded, but instead are improved over time.

AFAP are so obviously too close to management that, taking recent minor issues as an example, they would be hard-pressed to instil any confidence in the pilot group that they could do the same as AIPA have proven they're capable of doing (the recent issues I refer to were handled efficiently, quickly and successfully by AIPA on behalf of its members).

Where was the AFAP?????? I certainly saw and heard nothing!

To those colleagues at JQ who suspect AIPAs intentions, I say this; forget the politics of years ago, look at recent track records of both suitors, and be very careful about which way you vote.

I can see this promising company of ours go down the same industrial path towards the nightmare that Air New Zealand pilots found themselves in when they were represented by two or three unions. Completely splintered with self-serving interests at a huge advantage over the moderates.

Lets not go there!