PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 18th Sep 2008, 03:55
singapore_flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
True, SFC is where SQ trains their cadets. Self-sponsored students will get a CAAS CPL + ATP papers BUT CAAS requires anyone wishing to hold SG CPL/ATPL to have employment with a 9V carrier. So how can self-sponsored SFC students hold their license w/o a job at SQ, MI, TR or 3K?

Macarto, Etihad, KLM, Cathay etc. are A-list airlines up there with SQ. Except Etihad, I don't know of any major airline that offers cadet training for foreign citizens. To apply to these as expats, DEC or DEFO, you would need >5000TT and 1000 on type to have any chance. Cathay only requires HK PR for its cadet program, expats need not. Cathay also has overseas bases for their expats so not all live in HK. Now how are you going to get that initial 5000hrs(or 3000hrs for jetstar, airasia etc) and the hours on type(meaning hours flying 737NG/A320 etc)? So what people do is they instruct until ~1500hrs to defrost their ATPL and apply to regional airlines flying turboprops. By 2500-3000hrs they upgrade within the airline or jump to another to fly regional jets like CRJs. By 3500-4000hrs they apply to LCCs like tiger which offers (self)sponsored type ratings. Only after that do they apply to the A-list.

PPL-CPL-ATP is the normal route though you can take your ATP papers after getting PPL, which is what SQ does with its cadets. They get their PPL and ATP papers done here at WSSL before going down under. FYI, ATPL=CPL+ATP theory papers+1500TT

Someone is wrong saying that SYFC only accepts JC/Poly students. I personally know NUS students training there, they accept JC/Poly AND Uni students so you can definitely apply in uni. Being more matured and having done NS is probably a bonus for your application. SYFC is also losing instructors, two have left for MI and TR in recent years and another RSAF CPT on loan to SYFC will ROD soon and join SQ. I'd say SYFC is a good place to start off commercial flying in Singapore.