PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Check outs
Thread: Check outs
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2008, 00:35
DavidHoul52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell us exactly what this evil and obviously incompetent FI did
I never said anyone was evil or incompetent. I am not complaining about anyone.

Maybe an example will help to explain my point better.

What I have done countless times on downwind leg is - do the pre-landing checks - during these pre-landing checks I set carb heat to hot and leave it there - I radio downwind. I turn into base leg - reduce power - two stages of flap - pitch for 65 knots. Turn on to final at 500 feet agl and 30 degree bank on to final.

Now I'm told - call downwind first - don't set carb heat to cold - just check it - turn onto base leg - carb heat on - reduce power - two stages of flap - pitch for 65 knots. Turn on to final at 500 feet agl and 20 degree bank on to final.

Ok - there's absolutely nothing wrong with this second way of doing things. I can think of reasons why it is actually better.

My point is is that it is the difference which is a) potentially a cause of confusion resulting in my forgetting something b) it increases the workload and c) it means that I need to now practice umpteen more circuits to get it right. Nice money for the flying club. Nice hours for the instructor.

If I arrived in my own aircraft or an aircraft from my "home" flying club (who are quite happy for me to fly it to any licensed airfield in the UK or Europe) I would successfully land at this new airfield with no trouble at all. I did the first way in my skills test and the CAA had no problem with it. I landed the plane - that's all that matters!

So please - I am not fighting with any instructor! It's just the system - which I realise makes sense in some ways - at least one doesn't have to pay insurance like when you hire a car - but in other ways is entirely illogical apart from an income generating point of view.