PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Situation, btw old capt & new capt.
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 12:02
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hola zedflyer -
xxx
I translate your question to "experienced pilot" vs "inexperienced pilot"...
Yes, there are cases of opinion differences between the two.
This may be a senior captain and a junior captain.
There are various possible situations...
I never had a "rift" (as you say) with another pilot.
xxx
Taking personal experiences.
When I qualified as DC8 captain, and later, as 747 captain, I had completed the training (a few weeks in classrooms and simulators) and the line experience (25 hrs flying on-line with a check-captain) in these types of aircraft on which I had NO prior experience. Obviously, when I took my first trips "by myself", I was teamed with first officers and flight engineers that were well experienced and competent in these aircraft types. And YES, I would listen to their recommendations about "how to fly" the aircraft.
xxx
I had been a captain before, on 707s and 727s, so my "command ability" was (hopefully) not in question. Was just a matter of learning another type of aircraft. Maybe I had more experience on the route we were flying than the first officer and told him what was better for communications with ATC, or which would be better alternates in case of questionable weather. And if it was with a different airline, I had to get accustomed to their procedures.
xxx
As another example, I flew a contract with MK Cargo when they started to operate 747s and had to train captains and first officers (or flight engineers) which were highly qualified on DC8s, and knew African routes much better than myself. So we combined our respective experience. It is a team work. At times I was acting as captain, at times I was first officer... And the debriefing was at the hotel bar with a cold beer, trading flying tips about the airplanes, the routes flown, and the operation. If they wanted to know more, well, the next round of beer was on their account.
xxx
I often fly with other captains, who are more (or less) experienced than myself. If not a training flight, we flip the coin to decide "who will be captain" (or PF/PNF) and it stops there. I cannot recall any grave conflict within the crew regarding flight safety or conduct of the flight.
xxx
Sure, I have flown with rather inexperienced first officers who were somewhat aggressive in showing their (lack of) expertise (on type or route)... I let them play their game, as long as they do not jeopardize flight safety. If they want to know better than I suggest, it is ok with me. It is one of the many instructor techniques that exist. Too bad their paycheck is not reduced for the fuel they wasted if it is in flight... And I let them make mistakes if in simulators that end in failing maneuvers or missing an approach. They just will have to do it again the next day if the simulator is available...
xxx
And if need be, I light my pipe... and I am patient.
xxx
I am retiring in 2 months, just your plain average pilot who knows his airplane and routes quite well. But as a pilot instructor, I am known to have a top reputation.
xxx

Happy contrails