PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Singaporean self-sponsored CPL holders - where are you?
Old 16th Sep 2008, 08:59
Sonic69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, as long as you give yourself a contingency plan should the airlines take some time to hire you as a SO or Junior FO.

Look at WA Aviation College also.

Unfortunately, Singapore does not have a rich aviation heritage and most youngsters have this impression that the ONLY way to become a professional pilot is SQ. Look at our young JC friend above. All they know is SYFC, RSAF, and SQ cadet program. Newsflash: In the rest of the world, getting into the airlines takes years of hard slog! And you pay your own way to get CPL ME/IR. Its well and good if you make it to the cadet program and SQ pays for your training first (you still have to pay back for the first few years of employment and be bonded).

Here's the reality of the situation, if you don't make it as an Airforce or SQ cadet pilot, you can still become a professional pilot by doing it the traditional (rest of the world) way.
1. AUD60,000+ to get CPL ME/IR (may be part of degree program or not. Up to you. With degree at least you have something to fall back on).
2. Complete ATPL exams.
3. Build up your hours - instructor, bush pilot.
4. Look for the next better pilot job - twin engine instructor, charter pilot, turboprop to jet.
5. Keep applying to airlines and maybe one day you'll fulfill your dream.

@Marcato, IMHO if you want to be a pilot, don't get sidetracked by being a flight dispatcher, atc controller etc. It doesn't make your journey to be a pilot any easier. Also, don't get hung up on being a pilot only in Singapore. What's wrong with cutting your teeth in Vietnam, Middle East, China, etc if they're willing to pay for your type rating?
Anyway, if you're a Spore citizen, you will not be eligible for SQ until you're 26 yo. Why wait around doing other mundane jobs? If I were you, I'd consider the Airline Pilot – J1 Internship Program Traditional Program ? Delta Connection Academy | Certified Flight Training.
In 2 years, you will have a FAA ATP with at least 1500hrs. You would also have been earning your pay as a pilot (instructor) for more than a year already. You will be a more attractive hire than a fresh CPL ME/IR w fATPL and 250hrs. You will only be about 23 yo then.

Anyway, what do I know. Don't take my word as gospel. But, look around and be open to options. Cheers.