PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Bad news for Sunwing
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2008, 02:17
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I conclude the reference to WJ as a "major carrier" is merely a slip of the tongue.
Let's put it this way. United Airlines is a Flag Carrier and Southwest isn't.
Air Canada is a Flag Carrier and West Jet isn't. Despite the number of aircraft in eithers' fleet and despite the number of revenue kilometers flown or revenue passenger kilometers.

...or is it strictly margin?

In the final analysis, WJA is strong, viable, and here for the long term.
Depending upon a few factors, of course. Do they change their goals? Do they change their reason for being? Do they modify their original business plan. Does fuel price go through the roof? Do people all of a sudden realise they're getting charged the same price for a ticket to Lethbridge as AC despite who follows whos lead?

For me, these are some of the things I think 'might' happen to WJ as the original leadership cashes in and moves on. (I've noticed a number have left recently, haven't you?) If it does then I DO think WJA could be in for a demise.
That's only an opinion.
If the brain trust at WJ leave to start a 'competitor' company knowing what they know, how is that going to impact WJ?
Again, I could be so far off the mark, it isn't even funny. (let's hope so cuz I have a lot of former colleagues at WJ)

I think as well, this running commentary on WJ is off topic. Because I made reference in a previous post (seemingly, to someones' disgust) it seems to have touched a nerve. (How dare I speak of WJ in such a manner?) TFB. This is an opinion based forum. Deal with it.

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 16th Sep 2008 at 02:28.