PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 15th Sep 2008, 20:55
ix_touring

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www, the topic was signs of an upturn, the discussion of XL, AZ et al is not a sign of the upturn. Interest rates lowering and improved mortgage availability is an indication that some "normality" is returning to the lending markets... (though clearly not the old normality)

As for 12% losses, well they're just paper profits and thus paper losses... only relevant if you bought recently, borrowed against it or at the point of needing to liquidate! (see below)

As with aviation, housing is cyclical, anyway, I hardly think I was ramping my (or any other) house! (perhaps you talking about the rent? It's well documented that rents have been very solid through the current turmoil, so hardly my hype, just fundamentals).

Buy to REGRET, hardly, we bought in Jan 01 and moved out in 04, its doubled in value in the 7 years (though now less the closer to 20%, rather than 12% in my area). I don't see a 20% loss of value as a loss to my capital, I wouldn't have had the £230K sitting in stocks or in cash being eroded by inflation and I don't see the equity as being the equivalent of cash, therefore it’s not capital: My tenant pays the bills, I gain from the gearing, in 10 years time (give or take a couple of years) it will be in the region of double its current (20% off) value and I will have spent around £1K p.a. to attain that.

All investing is a form of gamble! It goes up and down and you should only do it if you can afford to lose; I do know someone who bought a 20% overpriced off plan flat in town last October... I Hope he didn’t think of it as a short term investment!

Now, to suggest that I or anyone else use what’s left of the equity after the loss of value to pay for an integrated school.... I'm firmly in your camp and don't think this is the time for such an action

However, if you put a contract for employment at the start of the same integrated course, that may change my view…. (there are still some sponsored/funded courses out there).

iX

Last edited by ix_touring; 15th Sep 2008 at 21:17. Reason: Format, re wording to answer the points