PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Replacing HD in store bought puter?
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2008, 16:57
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
I'll get to the point eventually Drapes, but I can't remember where I got the driver from. It's an age thing.

Since visiting Texas again, I've been digging out some of my stuff wondering if it still goes. My HP computer fired up as though it had been put away yesterday. However...

We had decided to pay for our Phone/and internet provider here, cos it was so much better than the UK ones that we have been victim to. Pay pay pay, get back then it works okay...for two fing days, then I get a message to say that my service had been diverted to a "There is a problem with your account." type message. At this point I lost it. Months of crappy service in the UK and now this after paying on the nail for months. The support man was just plain simple.

Check your wire into...........

Aaaaaaaaaaaagh! (not you Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!) Aaaaaaaaaaaagh I said. If it can divert my service and display your offensive message, how the **** (I didn't say that, I just thought the **** bit) how on Earth can there be anything wrong with my wiring? 'Fair point' Says he. We delete all temp files and cookies and that makes the message go away, but no apology for virtually accusing me of not paying.

Anyway, all this makes me feel rather vulnerable, so when I see XP Pro advertised locally for $30 I thought I'll make a completely independent disc, ready to go. The validity of the XP I've discussed at length on the computer forum.

So, I had a clean EISA 400 gig Barracuda, and this probably bogus disc. (It is registered, and receives updates, but I'm not going to do anything but nose around in it before buying a kosher copy) The installation went smoothly, having partitioned the drive into three. But, there was no sound. I got the driver from HP, but did not keep a record of the exact location. It went in like a dream, and sounds fine.

I'm now stuck for printer drivers. HP seem to no longer support the old industry standard Laser Jet 4 P XP did, but with Pro, it's listed, but nothing happens. HP's 4000 series get it going, but it would be nice to have it right.

Now, your notion of getting drivers off the old disc might save the day. But it's not like the old days when drivers were simple is it? Seems that they arrive in a mini installation package. Anyone know if pointing the "look for disc" question to a simple file will suffice?

In the mean time I'll look to see if I can find where I got the sound driver from.