PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrogant posters
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2008, 19:12
west lakes
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Processing Information

I can see merit in a lot of cases imparting more information during safety briefings.
But (sorry there has to be one)

It is already apparent that even if passengers listen to the briefing some don't take the information in (the not looking after themselves first - which is against most parents instincts, getting hand luggage to carry with them during an evacuation, not opening overwing exits even though they have probably been individually briefed)
So even if the information about the "burning smell" from oxygen candles is given, I really wonder how many will take it in?

An example from my line of work.
Customer with a failure in their electricity supply, late evening so for a number of reasons no work will be done until the morning.
A decision is made to connect a small portable generator to the house to maintain essentials.
Customer told by staff "this will only operate your fridge/freezer, your lights, TV and kettle, nothing else, no large appliances like washers, dishwashers, showers".

Two hours later frantic call from customer the generator has gone off as I switched the shower on
Team attends, restarts generator, repeats warning paying particular attention to the shower not being used.

07:30 another call from the customer, the generator went off when I switched the shower on

This was not the, shall we say, chav type this was an apparently professional family.

We didn't attend the second time- just left them off until we fixed the fault

As for the condensation from a/c units, seen that a few times in hot humid conditions when aircraft are boarding with APU running, a/c running and using steps to front and rear doors to board.
It was obvious to me and most other pax what it was and there was even some joking about it. (scheduled flight not charter)
Possibly though in some situations a clear PA from crew would not be unreasonable. Probably though in a lot of cases the crew are used to the effect and don't actually notice it, so don't comment prior to someone panicking - when it could be too late