PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrogant posters
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2008, 09:47
Final 3 Greens

Guppy

That last post of yours requires some response.

You want a ground school...go pay a flight instructor. You don't hire an attorney and expect a class on civil legislation. You don't visit the doctor and expect a briefing on chemistry or biology...nor is the doctor in expectation of or willing to provide it.
I don't expect a ground school, but I am having to reassure nervous pax sitting next to me, it happens several times every year and it is NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY. I pay the airline a ticket price and that does not include an implied term and condition that I am a supernumary member of the crew, present to counsel nervous pax that known/predictable events, such as condensation and loud airframe fluting noises, are nothing to worry about.

If I go to a lawyer, I expect not only to receive advice, but also reasonable briefings as to any things that I may not be aware of, likewise I expect the doctor to give me enough information on the side effects of the drugs prescribed, so for example I don't worry if my urine turns yellow or my tongue turns black, but your argument is that this is normal and I don't need to know it.

Your logic looks pretty weak in context.

Recently, as you know from these boards, there was a serious incident caused by pax thinking their aircraft was on fire and attemptiong to enter the flight deck during the take off roll - this is completely unacceptable behaviour, but a contributing factor was their lack of understanding and my experience is that crews don't brief condensation (only heard it once), ergo it should be added when necessary to avoid a repeat of a totally unacceptable event. Just because the crew know it is normal and safe doesn't mean the pax doand there are many more people flying occasionally these days.

You're briefed on what you need to do in an emergency
Yes and part of that logic requires pax to recognise what is and isn't an emergency. A condensation incident has now resulted in a serious incident and the industry should take this lesson on board and deal with it my PAs when necessary. "Its normal, it's not a problem, just ignore it."

I think that if a further incident occured, with serious outcomes, a lawyer would be able to attack the airline for failing to apply diligence in preventing a repeat incident.

Of course, why would we bother to give a detailed explaination on oxygen generators
You need to give more than at present, because it can cause some panic when people smell the fumes or think the unit has failed, again recent anecdotal evidence supports this.

All that the PA needs to add is .... after pulling the mask, you may notice a chemical smell, this is normal" What is so difficult?

overwing condensation
What is overwing condensation? I am talking about condensation from the vents along the whole cabin, that at its most noticeable looks like fog or smoke .... and lots of it too under some circumstances

when people like yourself can't be bothered to listen to the important parts...the safety briefing that will save your life?
Guppy, have you tested your reading spectacle prescription recently?

......... I do pay close attention to the safety brief......
I am sorry,but your post is defensive and reflects exactly the sentiment baftabill expressed eloquently in an earlier post..

On a nearby thread you will see 'morons', 'idiots', 'not good breeding material', etc etc to describe passengers.

On the other side of the coin you (quite rightly) take a learning attitude to accidents. The crew aren't 'morons', they were unfortunate that all the holes lined up. They may have made a mistake but it is important to learn from that rather than concentrate on blame.
I put it to you (and your colleagues) again, the demographics of the travelling population have changed significantly in the past 20 years and the airlines have not changed their briefings to take this into account.

Also, the cabin crew are not assertive enough (generally, with some homourable exceptions) at reinforcing the behaviours mandated by the rules (talking during briefing, walking around with the belt signs on) and this is conditioning some pax that it is acceptable.

Last edited by Final 3 Greens; 13th Sep 2008 at 10:11. Reason: spelling