PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrogant posters
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2008, 03:31
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why don't the crew brief about condensation? I sat on an Airbus last Sunday and had to reassure the person next to me who thought we might be on fire - I should not have to be doing this - I pay the airline to brief the customers, but they fail regularly in this respect, also with regard to airframe generated noise on the BAE 146/RJ, which I have had to explain many, many times - why?
You want a ground school...go pay a flight instructor. You don't get on a bus and expect the driver to teach you how to drive. You don't hire an attorney and expect a class on civil legislation. You don't visit the doctor and expect a briefing on chemistry or biology...nor is the doctor in expectation of or willing to provide it.

You're briefed on what you need to do in an emergency. Not on how clouds form, not on the tropopause, not of the physics of turbulence or the movement of frontal boundaries. You don't get briefed on all the sounds you may hear, such as fuel pumps or hydraulic pumps, or many of the other things which go on in the airplane. We don't particularly need to explain why we've selected a particular altitude, or tell you about the proximity of other traffic in flight, or even brief you on the where the bleed air you're breathing is coming from. We brief you on safety related items that may save your life or kill you in an emergency, and you're given just enough information. Extra information just clouds the issue, can be confused with important information, and really isn't something you need to have floating around in your head as you try to recall the critical life-or-death safety instructions.

Of course, why would we bother to give a detailed explaination on oxygen generators or overwing condensation...when people like yourself can't be bothered to listen to the important parts...the safety briefing that will save your life?

Again...it appears we need you to come into the training department and school us all with your expertise. We love arrogant passengers that do that.