PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL scenic flights and advertising
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2008, 04:54
PlankBlender

PPL scenic flights and advertising

Here's the situation: I am doing irregular joy flights as a PPL in my own aeroplane, sometimes I take friends along, and usually I don't charge them for it, trying to be a nice guy spreading the enthusiasm about aviation

As a PPL I know I cannot charge more than a passenger's share of the cost of the flight, with me paying my share of course. Here's where the uncertainty begins: Could I theoretically charge what I have calculated the total cost of operation to be, i.e. actual fuel & oil plus share of expected maintenance (hourly engine reserve, 100 hourly, incidentals based on experience)? Would CASA accept my calculations if they weren't obviously blown out of proportion?

Then how far could I legally go spreading the word that I do these flights and don't mind company? Is word of mouth where it ends, or could I push it to putting up a note on the board at my local supermarket or backpacker's?

I appreciate this is a bit of a grey area, I just want to see if I can pick the brains of experienced pilots and operators in the industry who have been there before and can provide a few do's and do not's..

If anyone can point me to previous threads on this topic I'd be thankful. I've tried searching, but couldn't really turn up anything relevant.