PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrogant posters
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 22:44
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To arrogant people (Crews and SLFs)

Well, I sometimes travel as SLF too.
If on my airline, the crew knows me, I do not listen to the briefing...
I do not read the evacuation card, especially for "my type" (747)...
xxx
When I travel with other air carriers, of course they do not know I am a pilot.
I listen to their briefing (often) and (often) read the evacuation card.
Particularly if is a type I am not too familiar with - Airbus...
This to compare to "ours" - to see if "theirs" are better.
xxx
SUGGESTION - if you want to be arrogant...
(1) LISTEN to their briefing and compare to your expert knowledge of briefings.
(2) READ the evacuation card (and compare), see if it is for this aircraft type.
Look for an error, or discrepancy... then growl...
xxx
Not too long ago, in Europe, I was SLF with airline "x", a 737-300, and had taken the evacuation card in hand to "compare" to "ours"... when I came to notice that it said "737-400" in the corner (showed 4 overwing exits rather than the 2 exits on a 737-300)... I was sitting in the overwing area, and could see this was a 300, not a 400...
xxx
Then I realized that ALL the evacuation cards in the seatback pockets indicated "737-400" around me... But I am not arrogant... After landing, I presented my business card "captain" - "airline" - "747" to the captain, a very nice gentleman, and mentioned the 737-400 cards located in a 737-300... He said... "yes, I know... our airline ran out of the 300 cards last week, they are supposed to be delivered end of the week, apparently this was approved by our director of operations..."
xxx
I could see the captain to be a little embarrassed - but I WAS NOT ARROGANT, NOR WAS HE... he and I knew it was a minor detail. After all, who are the people who steal evacuation cards as souvenirs...? Must certainly be other crewmembers... SLFs would never steal evacuation cards for their collection.
xxx

Happy contrails