PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Loss of Pressurisation 25th Aug
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 19:44
slip and turn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATS, Any lack of fluency in English by cabin crew in aircraft populated mostly by English speaking passengers is clearly something of a safety issue. The phenomenum of crews possibly "getting by" by learning of standard announcements by rote may simply not be enough in an emergency situation, and some crews are better than others in this regard.

I am particularly intrigued to know what standard is upheld when No 1 is not a native English speaker and the other three aren't either but are in fact non-native English speakers with different first languages to No 1, and when none of the cabin crew first languages match the departure OR destination languages.

As you imply, for some time now, RYR 90% of the time use a recorded safety briefing thesedays. However, I happen to know that at least one of their non-English recordings is recorded by a non-native of the intended audience and is generally seen as a rather mediocre attempt by that audience. It is a recording that I think has been unchanged for three or four years despite its likely mediocrity.

I also say again that the best lessons learned in this thread so far are:
1) what exactly is expected to happen via chords and pins when you are asked to tug on O2 masks
2) what to expect/not expect from the bag on the mask

As a very frequent RYR flyer of long-standing I am here to tell you these are not things I have failed to learn from the briefings, or failed to listen to. The information quite simply has never been communicated to me ...

As to how important that small lack of detail is, well that's what is open to debate.

PS I would recommend SNS3Guppy's post, linked to above by west lakes, as extremely useful thought-provoking reading to everybody down the back, ... and some

Last edited by slip and turn; 11th Sep 2008 at 20:00.