PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2008, 07:33
Dupre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DannyTanner: If you have a look at the fleets above, you'll see Maun is mainly piston singles. Plenty of Caravans, and 3 Islanders make up the turbine/twin contingent. Maun is not the place if you want to get aid to the needy... it is all about flying (mainly) wealthy tourists/hunters to plush safari camps in the delta. I'm sure your multi-crew time wouldn't be looked on badly though and your chance of a job would be just as good as anyone elses. If you want to keep in the MCC environment, do a search on "african contract flying" - the likes of Solenta, Qwila, Zimex and many others. They operate some singles (caravans mainly, zimex has porters) and many multi crew twins - twin otters, B1900s etc. - and they do it into difficult areas. I understand it's largely under contract to the UN, as well as support for the oil/mining industries.

The work is 99% pick up/drop off. You won't be able to arrange any permits in advance, as you need to have a firm job offer before you can apply. By all means email the companies before you go - that's a very good idea. But don't expect them to hire you before they have met you.

NBV4: Yep, bought a ticket to Maun (about US$3000 for me) and went. I emailed all the operators and 3 or 4 pilots that I managed to get contacts for... but I really didn't know a soul on the continent when I arrived! I was prepared to spend 3 months on the job hunt, but was very lucky - got a job after 6 days. Sometimes in life, you just have to take a risk - what's the worst case? You go back home having spent a couple of months experiencing a new and very foreign place!

Sefofane is the biggest, with 16 planes and about 23 pilots I believe. Kavango is probably the smallest with 4 planes and 4 pilots (stand to be corrected on that).

Last edited by Dupre; 11th Sep 2008 at 07:46.