PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Collective Colour Vision Thread 3
View Single Post
Old 10th Sep 2008, 23:39
Neo_RS14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bealzebub, I can understand your concern...and I'm assuming I was correct in my assumption that red is the colour of aircraft fire extinguishers (in-line with other uniform designations)...if o2 tanks are green, well...I have to say, unless you have monochromatic vision (black n' white) mistaking bold green with bold red in whatever lighting conditions, is unheard of...it just hasn't happened...if it had, similar confusion would be occurring all the time, and obviously not just in aviationl...just think...8-12% of men have CVD....if it really was a major safety issue how often would we be hearing about the errors? At least a few times a year globally.

Originally posted by Bealzebub
There are also very obvious and fundamental differences between the two items as well. However as you say "in the heat of the moment" it simply becomes another piece in the error chain.
Thanks, I see you know where I'm coming from with my opinion on this. It's unfortunate that the cabin crew member involved resorted to such desperate measures rather than admitting that he made a simple but crucial mistake.

I can imagine what it must seem like to colour-normals, "Oh these colour blind chaps flying planes!?!?! Good heavens!"...It must seem so risky to you. You're not to blame, it's just poor education of what CVD actually involves which is the reason for such intolerant attitudes. The phrase "colour-blind" doesn't help, another antiquated thorn in the sides of all of us lot.

Colour blind....Seriously...it is EXTREMELY rare...personally, I have heard of one single case of it in my entire life. Yet, the majority of us CVD folk must be tainted with the same brush nonetheless. Again, no-ones' fault, but things can definitley be done to improve the situation.

Knowledge is power.