PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrogant posters
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 10:08
Rainboe
Warning Toxic!
Disgusted of Tunbridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I see too often here, and it's really a concern brought up by the original poster, are individuals who may not have a full compendium of aeronautical knowledge at their whim, who ask a simple, innocent question. Not uncommonly we see them beaten and bludgeoned by pilots who act as though the individual should have been born with a doctorate in aeronautical science.
The way I see it, polite enquiries receive informative, courteous answers. I spend quite a lot of time answering sensible queries (in the right section!). But have a look at the major accident threads in Rumours and News! Full of non flyers acting as accident investigators, deciding how aviation should be changed and saying 'how it is'. I don't see that many polite enquiries, more blunt argumentive and outrageous statements, and so they shall be treated in return. The Ryanair depressurisation is a case in point.

The very anonymity of forums means that it is not apparent what basis people make enquiries from, and as you pointed out, the response could be inappropriate. I eventually deduced the young man was talking from a primitive basis and did not respond, but some did not see it. It behoves the original poster of any query to state from what basis he asks so that an appropriate answer can be framed.

I've been told 'I'm paying your wages!', I've been told 'you're lying to us!' and 'I'm a lawyer, I'm going to sue!' There are very easy responses. For the lying one, I had an outburst 'how DARE you accuse me of lying! I am not paid enough to lie to anybody so would you withdraw that PLEASE?'. The lawyer one I enjoy: dismiss it with 'please write to the customer service department with your complaint, now please excuse me I am VERY busy!' The wages one is good: 'Thank you Madam! I shall ensure it is well spent!'