PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arrogant posters
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2008, 04:52
justawanab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't travel a lot, well not now at least, neither do I think of myself as an expert in aviation. I do however know the fundamentals of flight, can describe the control surfaces of an aircraft and could successfully control an aircraft in flight should I need to so I'm not totally ignorant of the whole process. Because of this, and knowing that the main reason I don't fly professionally is that I couldn't afford the costs involved in qualifying nor am I sure I could perform adequately under pressure without assistance, I have a profound respect for those who do. However it does disturb me when certain members of that profession seem only too quick to suggest that they are virtually infallible and that anyone else who may seek to express an opinion, whether they be cattle class or cabin crew, is totally unworthy of any consideration.
Fortunately they seem to be in the minority.
I don't expect people to tell me how to do my job either, unless they are qualified at an equal or higher level or have more experience than me, however, when someone "outside" makes a suggestion I will listen and investigate, then if the suggestion has no basis for being I will explain in simple terms exactly why. I avoid the use of sarcasm and I avoid being patronising. There have been occasions where some of those suggestions have warranted further development and with the addition of my and other's expertise a simple "off -the-wall" idea has become practical and useful. I just didn't think of it at the time.
I also never fully trust those who believe they are foolproof.
No matter how good your training is, no matter how many hours you spend in the sim, no matter how much money your company invests in you, you will make a mistake at least once in your career. I'd much rather be flown by the pilot who can accept that and is willing to acknowledge it when it happens than the one who can't and won't.