PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fastrack Requirements @ EK
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2008, 08:51
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course guys are interested in coming to EK and jumping the queue. It is not THEIR fault that some idiotic policies are in place.

According to EK's own policy;
1st-Suitable F/O's (an abundance of whom exist)
2nd-Suitable 'accelerated command' types.
3rd-DEC's.

The fact that EK does not follow its own policy should be a clear indication that it is a risk. The best advice I have heard is to expect the worst and be happy if it turns out better.

I do not understand the subterfuge of this company when it comes to upgrades. I think most pilots would be happy to envision a 3-4 year upgrade. The DEC policy is purportedly 'a cost saver', but I contest that assertion.

Consider the recruiting issues because many decent F/O's get scared off by the confusion and inconsistencies of the policy; consider the past resignations caused by the policy; consider the morale issues; consider the higher costs associated with a DEC; and then counter all of that with the initial savings in training. Unfortunately, the only cost that can be put down on paper is the training cost, so therefore the company believes they are saving money. Clearly hiring a DEC costs less INITIALLY. It is one training course vs two, as opposed to following a normal career progression. Accelerated commands on the other hand do not save in training costs.

Just consider the confusion surrounding this accelerated command thread. The company purposely encourages this confusion because they want to be left with the option to do whatever they wish if they think it can save them some money.

EK is a good company in general. I truly believe it is one of the best in the world, all things considered. The manner in which the DEC and accelerated command policies are conducted is one huge negative about EK though.
If 'time to command' is your overriding concern, then be very clear... there are no guarantees. 4 years to command would seem to me to be a reasonable expectation for the foreseeable future.