PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Plane down in darwin
View Single Post
Old 8th Sep 2008, 00:11
Hasselhof

I can hardly believe it but this informative, rational and non-sensational news report is from the NT News.

PLANE CRASHES ON ROAD

by Ben Langford
September 8th, 2008

FIVE people walked away from a plane crash after the pilot made an amazing emergency landing on a Territory road yesterday.

The Barrier Air charter plane experienced engine failure at 2500 feet, police said.

The 40-year-old pilot tried to bring the single-engine Cessna down to land on Whitewood Rd at Howard Springs about 3.10pm.

He almost made it - but the plane clipped powerlines and crashed into an electricity pole and a wire mesh fence.

The pilot and four passengers climbed out of the wreckage and were assisted by the family whose house they crashed outside.

Police said the passengers were a man aged 87 and his 62-year-old wife, a 38-year-old man and a 26-year-old woman. The older man and both women suffered minor injuries and all five were taken to Royal Darwin.

All were described as being in a satisfactory condition last night.

Sandra Lay's young brother and sister were playing in a bird aviary less than 100m from where the plane crash-landed.

"The power went out and I heard this big screeching and a crash," Ms Lay said. "I came out and they were sitting there. The pilot was leading them out of the plane.

"We called them inside to sit in the shade and wait for the ambulance."

The plane's body was doubled over from the impact with the pole and a powerline wrapped around its wing.

Palmerston fire brigade acting station officer Aaron Perry praised the pilot, who had 23 years' experience, for bringing his passengers down to safety.

"He's done a pretty good job to avoid any injuries," he said.

It is understood the plane was chartered for a scenic flight and had taken off from Cooinda in Kakadu National Park about 2.30pm.

Fire crews attended the crash scene.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority will investigate the crash.

Very glad to hear that all are safe and unhurt. Well done