PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun 2008-2009 season
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2008, 18:23
Dupre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK firstly just an update on operators and aircraft: Northern Air is now a part of Safari air. Also there are a few more aircraft types to be added so your list looks more like:

Sefofane: Caravan/ 206/172/Airvan (www.sefofane.com)
Moremi Air: Caravan/Islander/210/206/172 (www.moremiair.com)
Kavango Air: Caravan/206/172 (www.kavangoair.com)
Delta Air: Islander/210/206 (www.okavango.bw/air.html)
Mack Air: Caravan/Airvan/210/206 (www.mackair.co.bw)
Safari Air: Babyvan/Caravan/Islander/Airvan/207/206 (wasn't working when I last tried - and haven't seen the 207 in a while - do they still have it?)

1) Bring at least 5 certified copies of your passport, licences, birth certificates etc. Also a new requirement is a Certificate of Clearance (from the police, stating that you are a good egg and haven't done anything terrible). Finally bring copies of all the certificates/education/degrees you've got... they lap that stuff up at immigration. Make sure that everything has an official looking stamp on it - for some reason Africa is the place of official stamps and any document lacking one is viewed with suspicion.

2) It doesn't get that cold at night in the summer (winter is a different story!) If you have big feet (UK 11 or larger) then consider bringing more shoes as you can't get them in Maun

3) The plugs depend on the house. You can easily buy an adaptor or change a plug if required. I got a great 4 way adaptor which takes almost any plug for P50 from suntronics in Maun.

4) You can get internet at home but it can be a mission and is pretty expensive from what I understand (not that I've done it...) There are quite a few internet cafes around town, and some companies allow their pilots free internet (some don't )

5) Being very conservative, I'd allow around P200/day while looking for work. You'll probably spend less, including a fair drinking allowance. Work out how long you're prepared to stay without a job and add 2 months on low pay before you get online. If you come with around 2000 quid you're certainly not going to run out of cash.

6) No idea sorry...

7) Already done this one

Feel free to PM me if you want any more info