PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 212 accident offshore Dubai
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2008, 20:21
monkou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Night transport offshore Dubai has been a regular event for at least 20 plus years. I flew 500 hours at night in 212s offshore Dubai over a 5 year period. Some nights were easy with a moon & some were a bit like your first solo moon landing but you either sank or swam. Not hard if you followed procedures, used your head and if you had to stick your head out the window to get a real view (huey window curves right & left side so distorts view) you did it. You could also benefit from saying you F'd it up and went round. Some silly ar's would try it downwind and get into power settling and scare the living daylights out of themselves - obviously forgetting to do the basics of what you'd do in daylight like check the windsock!! From what I hear it was possibly crew fatigue after a long annual leave and straight back into a check ride at night on a moonless night in space. It was a take off event I understand and sounds like the back end hit one of the legs. It was a tight deck as I understand it. A real recipe for disaster but no one knows for sure what really happened - we can only guess. Sounds like the water cannons blew burning debri off the deck into the sea.