PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why YOU should join the AOA!
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 17:50
iLuvPX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Main Dog, you werent ranting, good points(except the whole dem party thing..). I appreciate your stance. Mine just happens to differ; however my dim view of the AOA is supported by it's dismal track record.

NC, you know im a fan of yours, arguing with you is like talking back to my parents. So excuse my insolence, but every "bad thing that happened over your 16 years" you attribute to CX and not to the AOA.

The company is in the business of making money. One way they do this is by reducing costs, lowering benefits, different pay scales, intimidation, and other questionable means. Is it ethical? No, but it makes Swire money and that is their job. They get an A+ for their work.

The AOA's job is to mitigate, if not prevent any loss of conditions. Ideally, they should be improving our contracts, pay, time off, etc. If you were to grade the AOA on this, what would it be? Might as well start at an F- and work up from there...you wont have far to go.

According to you CX just imposed all of these reductions to your conditions over the last 16 years. Where was the AOA? They either a) attempted to stop the company and were unsuccessful, or b) colluded with the company. The net result was still the same. A steady decline in pay and conditions of service ever since they agreed to B-scale.

Even if they didnt agree to, for example, B-scales, and it was imposed instead by the company, then whats its purpose? The AOA is not unlike the UN. Something happens, they rally the troops, and write "strong" letters expressing their discontent, but in the end, accomplish nothing. Its not the subs that bother me, its the chronic inaction.

So ask yourself this, how has being an AOA member for 16 years benefitted you? Is the package for a new guy joining today equal to or better than the one you joined on? What do you have to show for those 16 years of subs and support?

Solution? A union with competent, professional people running the shop, and strong alliances with the FAU, HAKEO, etc. A full-time lawyer and professional negotiator, not some pilot who once watched a "how-to" video on corporate negotiations, during a pacific crossing. The only way to go is up...