PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T5 is working
Thread: T5 is working
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 10:57
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts
Angel

A tad off topic but, I think, relevant in a sideways sort of a way (i.e. I have some spare time this morning)

The problem of outsourced staff working alongside others but not responding to the same line of command reminds me of the situation in September 2000 when UK lorry drivers were protesting about rising fuel prices.

As I recall, there was some illegal flying picketing and secondary picketing at distribution centres such as Buncefield and tanker drivers were not going through the lines. The govt decided that, rather than send in the Police, they would use the 'soft' route. They called the oil companies and told them to have their drivers cross the illegal picket lines.

If I recall correctly, the oil companies found that the UK drivers had been outsourced to an Italian company who had sub-contracted them to a UK company ... It took a couple of days for the message from the UK oil big-wigs to get round the loop of UK-Italy-UK to give the drivers instructions when they were, effectively, parked outside!!! After that, I suspect that the chain of command was smoothed out a bit. But that is how all major companies are today - including govt. It is very rare that a manager has direct control of all their staff.

Being self-employed, I have been known to ignore my own instructions ...