PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's on this a/c's glareshield?
View Single Post
Old 4th Sep 2008, 09:03
AES

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Checklists

John,

This thread really takes me back!!

Something very similar was also fitted to the ANZ (then called NZNAC) F27 fleet. I remember them clearly 'cos I was responsible for (at the time) the only "full" F27 flight sim in the world (motion, visual, full digital modelling) - this was before the days when "Cat D", etc, sims had been defined by the Authorities. The sim manufacturer was called Redifon/Rediffusion in those days, I'm talking about 1975.

To simulate that F27 checklist device on the sim we just fitted an aircraft item, received on "embodiment loan" from NAC stores in Christchurch if I recall correctly. No idea of the cost but probably USD 10K not too far out.

And also those items (very simple, very clear, virtually foolproof) never made it on to NAC's B737s either (at more or less the same time as the F27 we did an - early, 6000 light points only, no polygons - CGI visual onto the NAC B737 sim). I don't know why not, but as a guess, would say that rather than being a US "NIH syndrome" problem, this "mechanical Checklist device" was more than likely either an Oz or Kiwi "invention" originally, therefore fitted under local Authority approval/s rather than with an STC acceptable to the FAA and other Authorities.

My goodness, that WAS a long time ago. Happy daze! (at least in some ways).

Krgds
AES