PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 22:01
ChrisLKKB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex
I'm just cautioning against armchair economics. Even the professionals get it wrong with alarming frequency
I've no doubt but there are a lot of professionals in agreement at the moment. When it comes to gambling with 40K+ it's not wise to bet against the house.

Whilst I'm not saying they're wrong, 35% up from what? That makes a difference but it doesn't make a headline. Everyone has an angle, particularly governments, journalists putting together a story and CEOs making announcements.
I agree although in this case the story wasn't specifically about mortgage arrears it was about the CAB struggling to cope with the number of calls they are receiving so 35% isn't an insignificant number.

Ask yourself, if you hadn't seen the news for six months whether your opinions - based entirely on your own experience - would be as strong.
I'm with a couple of other posters here who were saying that this situation could be seen coming some years ago now due to the government manipulating the economy for their own good and not the good of the country, I'm just surprised it didn't come sooner. I just hope this government will work it's way out of this current situation and not talk it's way out making things worse in the long run.....what am I talking about, they're just going to screw it up as usual!

You are actually correct, the time not to start an integrated course was 12 to 18 months ago, but you couldn't tell people that at the time even if you knew it - they were so sure they were right.
Imho it's still too early, i'm aiming to sit the exams in12 months (ish)....it'll be a snip after passing the national exams first time round. (I might see you for a brush up if you still do them).

But Easyjet and Ryanair passenger figures in July 08 are 20% up on the previous year. Load factors are up too. Look at the figures:
I don't think the airlines have seen the worst of it by a long way, foreign holidays are quite high on peoples priorities (apparently, according to surveys ) so they will be one of the last luxuries to go.That's just me speculating though.

Rumours are that Easy Jet are already tightening their belts http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/3...-stn-base.html (you might be able to read the thread before it gets spirited away).