PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 13:55
mrfilbert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currency

Hi all,

I've been a long-time lurker on these forums and like so many others before me I'd like to say thanks a lot for the informative posts and constructive debates that have helped inform my decision to apply to CTC, which I did yesterday.

At the risk of interrupting the modular/integrated discussion (which is fascinating - please keep at it, as it's something I know nothing about!) I do have one question which I don't think has yet been answered, and I was hoping one of you may be able to answer it for me. Actually, there are several questions in there, but on the same broad topic area!

Assuming you're not lucky enough to go straight into line training and (hopefully) employment with one of the partner airlines, and you enter the hold pool, how long does it take before your hours lapse and you need to cough up for more solo flying and/or training? Obviously in the current climate it seems recruitment is slowing down considerably and I'm really worried about saddling myself with £100,000 of debt with no flying job at the end of it AND gradually becoming less and less employable into the bargain AND having to pay to fly in some form or other to maintain currency. Also, is there a point at which CTC dump you out of the hold pool, and leave you to fend for yourself?

Am I crazy to even be considering investing in flying training at present? Is not being able to find a job a very real worry to those of you out in NZ at the moment, or are you of the opinion that 'it'll happen in the end'?

Thanks in advance!