PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 09:39
PAJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FUHD, pretty on the mark there I'd say. I'm not sure about the exact number of integrated cadets forward coursed, but I think it is about 6 over the first few integrated courses, and that has managed to bring the dates almost back in line with the stated schedule, but this is unique to those cadets.

As an integrated cadet, I thought I would just slightly balance the modular/integrated argument a little. All that you say about modular is correct, and there are benefits for both sides of training. On the modular course, it is my personal opinion that captaincy skills are better developed as you get more PIC time to consolidate and have to 'fend for yourself' in terms of decision-making/airmanship. On the integrated course, my personal opinion is that these skills are slightly neglected as the learning curve is steep. However, this I would say is not essential for where cadets will end up in a multi pilot environment. The integrated course gives you a significant amount of groundschool which with it brings scheduling issues, but you get much more exposure to the ATPL course material making the brush up at BGS a little easier. ATPL results for each integrated CP are up on the modular courses by a few percent, sitting in the low 90's I belive at present. The big advantage that comes with the integrated course is that you get significantly more multi time, much of this being IFR en-route stuff. On return to Bournemouth, the first integrated courses have found the adjustment to flying IFR in the UK easier, and as currency is generally a little better, the whole UK phase is a little less painful. You get less total hours on the integrated course, but you have spent much more time being immersed in the multi IFR environment, where you will be for the rest of your professional career. I personally believe the integrated course is excellent, but I have not been subject to the same de-moralising delays some of the later courses have had to endure. Just my 2p worth but something to think about.