PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch 250 descent
View Single Post
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 01:41
Bealzebub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After being stuck behind many of these 250 kt Chuck Yaeger's, it soon becomes apparent that the training departments and sop only culture has removed the basic airmanship from these guys.
Guys you are not the only ones in the sky, I'm alright jack just doesn't hang it.
AIRMANSHIP!!!!!

Yes Itsajob, I think you may be seriously misunderstanding the rationale here. The descent profile is an instruction from the company (in some cases from the ATC authority) to minimize fuel burns by adopting whenever possible an "Economy descent". If for whatever reason ATC require a different speed it will be complied with.

It has nothing whatsover to do with personal choice (I'm all right Jack.) nor has "SOP culture" removed basic airmanship. In the last 26 years of piloting 707's 757, & 767's I like to think that in learning from errors and experience I have aquired a modicum of "basic airmanship", and a timely application of it. However thank you for the benefit of your personal wisdom.

The application of economy descent profiles is due to the current record fuel prices. This is the reason so many airlines are finding life difficult or worse, going out of business. "Airmanship" is a benign pastime when you are sitting at home unemployed ? SOP's are the standard operating procedures, an employing company wants you to apply to their operations. Clearly there are times when the the situation is non standard, and suitable modifications are required.

Sorry you get stuck behind these "Chuck Yeagers'" (whatever that may mean to you?) but just as you sometimes get stuck behind traffic in all walks of life, it may require some patience and better planning on your part ? I suspect econ' descents are going to become more prevalant and very soon. The Arizona desert is becoming a bigger parking lot for those airframes, whose owners didn't adapt to survive early enough.