PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing Evidence That The Upturn Is Upon Us
Old 3rd Sep 2008, 00:47
Tony Hirst
Formerly HWD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I CANNOT believe that the same people are still saying things are going to be ok. Seriously, are you moronic?!
Charming Just because you cannot see other patterns doesn't mean others are moronic. Seriously, I am one of those people but am now sitting on the fence a tad more. I cannot see the what the fundemental basis of this upcomming recession is (oil and banks don't cut it for me). But I am now seeing is the power of the natty phrase "credit crunch" in full effect. Anything that implicates Gordon Brown also works for me too.

I have to admit, that I am in a bit of a smug win win position having now left Europe so can view things a little more disspationately. The housing crisis has me confused too, I just sold my house for 7% less than it was alegedly worth in April but 8% more than it was worth last year. It took 4 months to sell and exchange contracts. The 50% losses reported above are a suprise and don't reflect my recent experience or those of other people (with an exception) who have also sold in my old street. Are reposesions a good comparator, how do repo sales compare to this time last year (I don't know much about those things)?
Near enough every airline worldwide has halted recruitment and is grounding aircraft left right and centre.
Hmm, not so sure about that one. One airline here alegedly has aircraft ground due to lack of crew. There is plenty of movement, expansion and recruitment in Asia at the moment, mainly for contact pilots though. However, there is one new srartup that is sensibly holding off until the oil prices returns to Earth. Overall, if anything, Asia could do with the US and Europe taking a breather, some of the economies are likely to overheat and could do with slowing down a bit. Inflation is an issue here at the moment.