PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 13:58
MartinCh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Daria,

interesting you removed your age from the info about you.
So others don't see you're 17. Nothing wrong with being young, but as I stated in the past, you tend to have simplistic or bit misinformed views in other threads.
You could see things differently in mid-20s or 30s, more life experience.
More years of being independent, work away from parents' house etc.

As for
Im not slagging pilots off, I'm mainly talking about daft wannabe's
, hmm. So someone finishing intergrated is pilot, therefore not ANYMORE daft wannabe.
We all have/had dreams of flying and flying for living. I don't think calling someone daft on the grounds of their preferences and available opportunities is suitable.

So your parents would remortgage house and give you easy 80k? Nice. I'd go for it. If it's not loan secured against parents property, it's safer.
You want to prove something? You'd pay for everything yourself?
Have you paid for your flying up until now thanks to your own work?

There will be times when you realise that going 'the easy way' (meant as for flight training itself??) of integrated with all money readied by parents/remortgage can actually pay off. Cost of flight training (modular, so it is, ie more 'base' prices) won't go lower.

Surely, it's good to go to Uni, you're at the age about to decide.
You think you'd get all the dosh required for modular over next few years only from your savings alongside studies? Not sure what your hourly wage would be in your part time job, but mine isn't all that great. OK tips in waiting help.

True, I may need more expensive, rotary training etc, but I do follow and research FW flying as well for my future.

You know, most of 'pilots in the making' would jump at the opportunities you say you have. But reality is it ain't that easy. Some (few or many) years of savings are necessity for most, hence modular.

If you used that stash of money for CPL/ME IR, did some instructing, turboprop, whatever, you wouldn't be in position like some integrated guys who are coming to terms with loan repayment and no flying/well paid/ job - not wanting instructing job etc.

Some would rather not prove their dedication over 4-7 years of part time modular training if they had access to pot of $$. For someone in emigree family settled in the UK you have good opportunities from what you state.

As for SSTR:
I've just read here or elsewhere on net that CSA would take steps towards not sponsoring TR for recruits as there's more and more SSTRed pilots. That leaves lots of space for 'legionnaire' pilots from Western Europe and thus making it super extra harder for local fresh CPLs competing for few occasional vacancies. There's very few CPL openings outside CSA in Czech.

The amount of folks doing SSTR is damaging industry. Unfortunately, it is 'dog eat dog' but is becoming 'hound scoffs poodle'.