PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many Fo's will resign if GF hires DEC?
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 09:17
40&80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The evidence of 10 DECaptains at GF in my time at GF "first appeared" early one morning at my annual GF SEP school refresher class....this is the way it is was done at GF then.....there was of course the predictable mass protest...All Captains and all F/Os were into the offices like Flyn as the future upgrades to Captain and future training on to different fleets for Captains were now lost or seriously affected... both were now open to direct entry new hires...interestingly these DECs were also on GF 12 years increment saleries.
The late Captain Woodhead was active in getting this new policy
cancelled and getting these DECs hired correctly as GF F/os...
basically these DECs thought they needed their 55 to 60 years in the Gulf on top of their index linked BA pensions or their A scale Cathay milion dollar provident fund.
Happily a few were soon promoted to Captain but the important thing to the long service GF pilots was they were hired initially as F/os and when made Captains in order of seniority,availability,experiance, etc etc and they did not start on 12 year increment...
GF then payed these guys an increased profit share compared to their regular pilots...probably just to prove who was boss.
Thoes that did not like that were told..... they could leave and after getting their commands and a sim training qualification they surely did....one Captain got the glass cockpit on his licence, payed his bond and joined SIA resigning the same day his GF line training was signed off...
and the cream of GF Captains soon followed him...nationals and expats.
I think the most secure job in aviation must be on the interview board for GF new hire pilots...this company seems to have a fixation to get its pilots to resign and move eastwards.