PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do ab-initio graduates afford SSTR programmes e.g. with Ryanair?
Old 2nd Sep 2008, 02:03
rick0

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just wonder where are the times when aviation enthusiasts marveled at the sky because they just wanted to fly anything and were happy if they could and did not care what they were flying. Today it's all about status. And a turboprop or smaller AC does not have that status to a great many. It makes me sad to see. Most young pilots used to grow into the industry gradually and had to earn their wings over many many hours before they were sat into an airliner. Today it's just about money not aptitude.

There were times when pilots were respected for what they did and were paid accordingly. People coming out of the sausage factories the likes of OAA or FTE to which they not only pay a totally overrated price for the training but also buy themselves into the jet job, e.g. FR, don't realize, as they are selfish and shortsighted, how much they actually hurt our profession and consequently themselves too. This makes me sick and bluntly speaking I have a complete lack of respect for those individuals.

Before people slack me off now as just being jelous let me tell you this, two years back I actually had the choice of going integrated or modular because I was and am in the fortunate position to have parents that are able to completely fund my training. However, the math simply did not make any sense to me because I want to make money with flying at one point in my life. Today I am just glad glad glad I went modular. Not only have I had the most exciting time over the last couple years, because I have flown a whole range of different aircraft, including traildraggers, and was not put in a cheap uniform made in China, in many parts of the States including the Bahamas, UK and Spain, but also got the training at about half the cost of if I had gone integrated.

I have just finished my training and already started my first job which is flying a 172 into different gras strips all over the UK doing aerial photograpy which obviously is not as well paid as a job with BA but boy it's so much fun. I get to fly almost every day, and the coolest thing, I do actually get to do hands-on flying! Obviously I do not want to do this for the rest of my life but for now it's all I ever wanted. I am slightly worried because the industry has slowed down so dramatically but I know it will get better in the end. If I wanted to I could fork out the money for a TR with FR but this is not what I believe in!

When I started off with my training I wanted to get it done with the best possible fun factor but at the lowest cost, as I am certain there are ways around having to pay for the TR myself. I just wish everyone would do the same which would result in an overall increase in pay, but most importantly, an increase in respect towards the profession of us pilots as it would be a clear message to the managements. Anyway, enough of me ranting!
You don't think you're over analysing it all a bit too much?

I don't think 'status' or money.. do you really believe that (as stated on here.. i think) an OAA graduate would turn down a job on a Q400 (for example) because it's not a 737/757/A32x? That's absurd.. why would they have gone for the job interview in the first place?

And you say about people buying their type ratings with Ryanair.. do you think just because they paid for it, it makes them a crap, unenthusiastic idiot? hardly, surely by that logic the person in question would never have done that because they know they would have to bring their own lunch with them!

Surely they will have all been put through tough sim sessions to see if they definitely do have what it takes not just because they've handed over some big fat cheque - the chief pilot wouldn't care about that would he?

I have to admit the OAA stereotype is starting to seem more obvious.. I do get the impression that some of them are unenthusiastic rich kids with a very naive view of it all... but I suppose thats the because of the course offered.. "Pay £65k and become an airline pilot!" - it doesn't "appear" to be the hard work, ups + downs, gritty modular way.

It is interesting that the fun factor has been mentioned.. that is definitely something i'm taking into account - and i'm leaning towards OAA on that one.. it does look a blast (bar the ground school )